Published in 09/13/2019 at 10:39 am
Port of Açu was awarded among more than 30 entities as the best Brazilian partner company of the 1st China-Brazil Audiovisual Festival, in a ceremony held on Sept. 11th in Rio de Janeiro. The event, promoted by the Consulate General of China in Rio, intended to foster the cultural exchange between both countries. The event, carried out in the beginning of this month, counted on movie exhibitions in cinemas and partner companies.
One of the presentations organized by Port of Açu took place at the company’s office and counted with the attendance of over 40 emplyees. They watched the documentary “China: Time of Xi” and participated in a discussion panel about the cultural and commercial aspects of the Eastern country and its relationship with Port of Açu. The debate had the participation of the Chinese Commercial Consul in Rio, Xu Yuansheng; and the Chief Commercial Officer of Port of Açu, Tessa Major; as well as executives from Chinese companies.
“Connecting people through a true understanding of diversity and combining different views is very important to PdA as it is one of the key ingredients towards rapid development and authentic collaboration. The openness to cultural exchanges of our teams is exemplified by the number of employees that attended the China event. Our relationship with China as Brazil’s main trading country, as the home of our sister port Guangzhou and as the home of our business partners is special to us. We are very grateful for the cooperation with the Chinese Consulate in making this event a success and for their continued support in deepening our Comercial relations with China. Receiving an award as a result of these joint efforts is a great honor and will inspire us to continue on this positive trajectory”, concluded Tessa Major.
Operational since 2014, Port of Açu – located in São João da Barra (RJ) – has handled around 45 million tons of cargo for China (as origin or destination). Around 95% of this volume correspond to the export of iron ore, bauxite and risers (pipes to connect subsea oil wells and surface platforms or ships). The other 5% correspond to pet coke and general cargo imports, which are the cargo that need to be packed in containers or boxes for transport, as well as large equipment. The terminals used for those transactions are the Iron Ore Terminal and the Multicargo Terminal (T-MULT).
In addition, in May this year, Port of Açu signed a Cooperation Agreement with Port of Guangzhou, with the goal to share best practices and knowledge about port management and operations, beyond strengthening the cooperation for investments and business development.
“Deepening the relationship with Asian countries is part of Port of Açu’s strategy to connect Brazil with world-class ports with the same characteristics, such as cutting-edge infrastructure. We are a port-industry in operation, with capacity to receive large vessels and available retro area for the installation of industries. Moreover, we count on logistics efficiency to bring closer the main production centers in Brazil with the increasing demands of China and other Asian countries”, stated the executive.
About Port of Açu
With an area of 130 km², Açu is the largest port-industrial-energy complex in Brazil. With 17 km of quayside, being 40% already operational, the complex currently handles oil, iron ore, coal, pet coke, bauxite and gypsum, as well as general and project cargo. In 2017, the Port of Açu Export Processing Zone (EPZ) was created as a free-trade area, with private management and focused on producing goods for export with fiscal incentives.